- To develop students into effectively bilingual individuals who value and appreciate their own cultures, where they can connect with people from different cultures, traditions, and languages.
- By honing students’ ability in aural, oral, reading, writing skills in their MT language as well as developing students’ appreciation of their own tradition and culture through the formal and informal curriculum.
- By creating a vibrant academic environment that supports the acquisition of Mother Tongue languages in a fun and engaging manner whereby students acquire the functional and creative use of Mother Tongue languages.
- Festive Celebrations (Spring Festival, Hari Raya Puasa, Deepavali)
- Mother Tongue Fortnight (The Voice of SJC, Language & Cultural Camps)
- Chinese/Malay Arts Appreciation Programme
- MT CoOL Programme – Learning CL from Celebrities
3. Talent Development
- National MT Language Competitions & enrichment programmes (Our Story XinKongXia Lyrics Writing, Create Your Own Newspaper, Pena Emas Writing, Naanum Oru Padaippaali National Story Writing, Zaobao School Correspondent, “Script It Right” Chinese Radio Drama Script Writing, Text Recital and Pen Calligraphy)
A selection of the published articles by the student correspondents can be read here: Eco-Stewardship Programme, Code for Fun workshop, Voice of SJC singing competition and Learning Journey to the National Museum.